We offer an intensive, work-learn experience on a community-supported organic farm. Our 83 acre farm is located in Hillsburgh, Ontario (30 minutes from Guelph, 1 hour from Toronto, 30 minutes from Orangeville). The farm is owned and operated by farmers Seb and Bethany, and is supported by a strong community of friends, family, and clients.
Interning on a small-farm like ours means you have direct access to the farmers who run the operation on a daily basis. We invite you into our story and our experience of operating a small-farm, and train you in the methods we use to operate our farm. We grow a wide variety of vegetable crops using a walk-behind tractor and hand-tools creating an accessible learning program for interns. Since 2019 we have been transitioning our farm to no-till for improved soil and ecological health.
Here are some of the aspects of the program to look forward to:
- Hands-on training in the field focused on growing organic food on a small scale. You will be joining a team consisting of 2 interns, 2 farmers, 2-3 staff, and a number of supporting volunteers. Together we accomplish the task of offering a 22 week CSA (Community Shared Agriculture) program to 100+ members, we offer produce at a Farmer’s Market, and we harvest for 30 weeks of deliveries to local restaurant and retail clients.
- 6 CRAFT DAY field trips. We are part of the CRAFT organization (Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training) and through this organization each of our interns will have the opportunity to visit and learn from 6 different organic farms in Southern Ontario.
- on-farm training covering fundamental Organic Farming topics, no-till, and farmer self-care (including weekly yoga)
- farmer-podcast listening in wash-station and greenhouse
- We engage in regular dialogue and feedback with the members of our team and check-ins through-out the season to help you meet your learning goals.
- We host events, and community potlucks at the farm and our CSA pick-ups
Beginning of May until End of October (exact dates TBA)
We provide accommodations on farm, a shared lunch once/week, a $500/month stipend, and a CSA share from the farm.
Is this program for you?
We are looking for people who are excited about what we are doing, who are humble, inquisitive, and willing to work hard. You should be ready to focus your energy on growing great food, and on learning what it takes to grow great organic vegetables on a small scale. After you complete your internship we are committed to remain your mentors for any future gardening, farming, or homesteading endeavours and will do our very best to help you succeed.
To read our full information package and to apply visit our website: http://zocaloorganics.ca/community/#volunteer
For pictures of life on the farm see our Facebook page: http://facebook.com/zocaloorganics and find us on instagram @zocaloorganics.