Ignatius Farm Internship – 4 positions
April 16 to August 24 or to November 9, 2018
We are looking for passionate, imaginative individuals to help us care for the planet and our organic farm. As part of our team you will help build our vision of developing local food systems, innovative greenhouse production, eco-spirituality, community shared agriculture, and ecologically-minded education programs.
Ignatius Farm grows certified organic vegetables and berries for Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) members, farmers markets, local businesses and service agencies. The Farm’s programs include community gardens, acreage rentals, internships, working shares, volunteer opportunities, and several annual community events.
The Ignatius Farm Internship training combines weekly education curriculum with hands-on farm work to develop your skills and understanding as a farm worker, and the basis of your work in ecological agriculture or food system advocacy.
- Pre & post-season intensives: 8 workshops priming you for and debriefing the growing season (e.g. Soils, botany, tractor work, crop planning, cover crops…)
- Weekly workshops /field trips including monthly field days networking with CRAFT SW Ontario peers
- Personal learning objectives incorporated into weekly program and independent project
- Connections facilitated within the Ignatius Jesuit Centre and beyond e.g. farm tenants, Loyola House, community garden network
- Grow, harvest and process vegetables & berries effectively in field and greenhouses
- Provide excellent quality organic produce for CSA, farmers market, Loyola House & local businesses
- Use tools safely and support maintenance of tools, equipment, & structures
- Contribute to farm system improvements, community events, newsletters, social media, community gardens
- Work with a solid team led by seasoned Farmers Don, Mike and Heather and farm assistants committed to creating educational opportunities
- Hours per week: 40 hours per week Farm work plus 5-10 hours per week Education program
- Modest stipend and a generous share of vegetables provided; Housing with internet
For those interested only in the educational curriculum, contact email@example.com.