Ignatius Farm Internship
Full-Season Contract: April 20 – November 13, 2020
Summer Contract: April 20 – August 28, 2020
Deadline: February 4, 2020
The Ignatius Jesuit Centre (IJC) is a not for profit charity situated on 600 acres of woodlands, wetlands and farmland just outside of Guelph Ontario. IJC welcomes all and is home to Loyola Retreat House & Ignatian Training, Ignatius Farm and the Ignatius Old-Growth Forest.
Are you passionate and ecologically-minded? The Ignatius Farm’s vision actively supports community food systems, innovative regenerative crop production, eco-spirituality, community shared agriculture, and farm education!
Ignatius Farm grows certified organic produce for Community Shared Agriculture (CSA) members, farmers’ markets, local businesses and service agencies. The programs include community gardens, acreage rentals, internships and farmer training, working shares, volunteer opportunities, and seasonal community events.
The Ignatius Farm Internship training combines weekly education curriculum with hands-on field work to develop your skills and knowledge as a farm worker. It is foundational for aspiring farmers and for work in ecological agriculture or food system advocacy.
- April & November Intensives (Terms 1 &4): Foundational Workshops & Orientation begin the growing season; Management Workshops & Debrief conclude the growing season
- Weekly workshops, field trips, and independent project days (Terms 2 & 3); includes monthly field days networking with CRAFT SW Ontario peers
- Connections facilitated within the Ignatius Jesuit Centre, the local food & farming community
- For 2020, the curriculum is being collaboratively offered with EFAO and Everdale. Individuals will be able to register through the EFAO website for individual workshops and by term.
- Plant, transplant, weed, harvest and process vegetables effectively in field and greenhouses
- Provide excellent quality organic produce for CSA, farmers market, Loyola House & local businesses
- Participate fully in trainings and support training others
- Log field activities and contribute to system improvements
- Use tools safely and support maintenance of tools, equipment, & structures
- Contribute to community events, newsletters, social media, community gardens
- Hours per week: 40 hours per week Farm work plus 5-10 hours per week Education program
- $400 monthly stipend, Housing with internet, CSA share provided. Curriculum fees waived.
- Background knowledge and/or interest in gardening, greenhouse production, soils, ecology, local food systems, use of basic tools.
- Commitment to Health & Safety mindfulness, working outside in all weather, operating as a cohesive team, and building community.
- Assets: Valid G class drivers licence, First Aid/CPR
Your letter of interest must specify the application details below.
Submit your resume and a letter of interest which must include:
- Confirmation you have fully read the online 2020 Ignatius Farm Internship information package
- Your email and phone number for daytime contact
- Which internship you are applying for – Full-Season or Summer
- Any prior commitments during the contract timeline, with dates
- Your intention to live in the accommodations on-site
- Description of your farming/gardening experience.
- Why you are interested in organic farm internship at Ignatius
- What would you like to learn through the internship?
- What skills and qualities would you offer the farm?
- Do you prefer solo work or team-based work?